Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Gosforth RFC app


2nd XV - Phoenix - Match centre

Gosforth RFC
Seghill deputies
Sat 12 Jan 14:15 - League Full time

Rugby or a numbers game?


Phoenix narrowly lose to a powerful Seghill side.

Playing their first game of the New Year, a young (with a couple of exceptions!!) Phoenix side hosted a more experienced Seghill Deputies side. The game got off to a hectic start with Seghill scoring almost from the kick-off and Gosforth replying immediately through flanker, Jamie Dowd, whose try was converted by our resident Kiwi, Devon Gurr (7-5). Gos were to go down to 14 when full-back, Ian Black, went off with a twisted ankle only to return after Alan Scott administered his magic sponge treatment (ie freezing cold water!). The score stayed the same until the 19th minute, when the try of the game was scored by Devon himself, who picked up the ball from a ruck on his own line, skirted round and down the right wing and dotted down at the opposite end of the field (12-5). This proved a bit too much for the scorer, who had to leave the field to recover his breath!! [14 again!] At this point Seghill scored a try of their own (12-10). Again Gos were to stretch their lead through a second Jamie Dowd try, this time converted by scrum-half, will ginns (19-10). On half-time 'Hill again scored an unconverted try (19-15).
Gos were back to 15 as Ryan Bush, who, despite carrying an injury, volunteered to help out on 45 minutes. Unfortunately Seghill had already scored a converted try to take the lead (19-22). Again it was down to 14 as Jamie Dowd had to leave the field following a head knock - fortunately Devon Gurr had recovered his fitness and could resume, although it caused a reshuffle of playing positions. Meanwhile Seghill had stretched their lead on 52 minutes, only for Gosforth to reply again immediately through centre,Craig Harvey, (24-27). On 59 minutes Gosforth were to retake the lead through a Lewis Marshall try, converted by Devon Gurr (31-27). After that Gosforth lost prop, Joe Stoker, going back to 14 for the final twenty minutes! Seghill were to take advantage this time to score twice - one converted and lead 31-39. With four minutes to go Gosforth had the last say with a second Devon Gurr try, but the final whistle went too soon for the home team to leave the final score 36-39 to Seghill Deputies. A great game for the neutrals, but heart stopping for Alan Scott and company!!

Win a Maximuscle training session with Anthony Watson

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors